Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall

     The spring of 2012 I took my first semester of college at ICC.  I started classes just in time to be able to go on the ICC/BU young group's mission trip to Texas over spring break.  The trip was amazing.  It was wonderful to wake up early every day and have my only goal be to serve God wholeheartedly.  Being one of the youngest ones there I was able to learn a lot from everyone else on the trip.  I really got to know everyone very well and made some lasting friendships.
     When I got home I had "mission trip withdraw."  I sat in Rebekah's room and cried for half an hour while she was sweet enough to listen and comfort me, telling me it was completely normal on your first mission trip. 
     Even though the theme of the trip had nothing to do with this, the way the focus was so completely on God the whole time compelled me to take the mirror out of my room.  I continued to grow spiritually.  Then on July 1, 2012 my sister was married and I moved into her old room.  She had a mirror in it and I didn't take it out.  I began to sink.  I was more and more focused on myself and how I could improve myself.  I slacked in my devotions until I pretty much stopped altogether.  When I prayed I felt fake.  I did not feel God listening.  I was alone and depressed, reaching for a perfect outward appearance rather than a heart that is beautiful in God's eyes.
     One day I went for a walk and it occurred to me that God was telling me that the mirror had to go and until it did He was planning on withholding His perfect peace from me.  I turned right around and took the mirror out.  I immediately felt at peace.  The first thing I did after that was grab my Bible and continue my walk but this time in order to find a good place to have a devotion.
     I don't know how to thank God enough for taking the time to know me.  He knows that I cannot handle having a mirror in my room and He loves me enough to tell me to take it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment